Finding Solutions to Campus Food Insecurity
In recent years, surveys at the University of Oregon, Oregon State University, and Portland State University have found that more than half of students at all three schools are considered food insecure.
Research on how students finance college has revealed that the main barrier to degree completion isn’t tuition; it’s having a place to sleep and enough food to eat. The best estimates suggest that food insecurity affects as many as one in two college students—much higher than the rate in the general population. Just as many struggle with housing insecurity, and a significant number (14 percent at community colleges) are homeless.
In light of the developing national awareness of food insecurity and hunger on college and university campuses, the Oregon Hunger Task Force will be focusing its January 2018 Listening Session on university food security.
Date & Location
January 23, 2018, 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Ballroom (Room 244), Erb Memorial Union
1395 University Street
University of Oregon
Listening Session Livestream
Can't make the Listening Session in person? Tune in to Partners for a Hunger-Free Oregon's Facebook page at 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. to watch via Facebook Live and submit questions to the two panels.
9:00 - 10:00 a.m. - Welcome and Introductions
10:00 - 10:55 a.m. - Panel 1: Food Insecurity at the University of Oregon
- Ivan Chen, Organizing Director, Associated Students of the University of Oregon
- Rev. Doug Hale, Episcopal Campus Minister and Pantry Coordinator
- Kiara Kashuba '17, Program Member, Resources Assistance for Rural Environments
- Kris Katkus, Academic Advisor, UO Office of Academic Advising
- Kris Winter, Associate Vice President and Dean of Students, University of Oregon
- Moderator: Amy Schenk, President, Associated Students of the University of Oregon
11:00 - 11:55 a.m. - Panel 2: Best Practices Addressing Hunger on Campus
- Samuel Chu, National Synagogue Organizer, MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger
- Mike Millard, Office Manager, Portland State University Learning Center
- Mark Mitsui, President, Portland Community College
- Megan Patton-Lopez, Assistant Professor of Community Health Education, Western Oregon University
- Moderator: Diane Rosenbaum, Vice Chair, Oregon Hunger Task Force
12:00 - 1:55 p.m. - Lunch (free to registered attendees)
12:30 - 1:40 p.m. - Open House: Episcopal Campus Ministry Food Pantry
:00 - 4:30 p.m. - Workshop: Working Together to Build Campus Food Security
Associated Students of the University of Oregon
Café Mam, Eugene
Episcopal Campus Ministries, University of Oregon
Erb Memorial Union
Falling Sky Brewing, Eugene
Food for Lane County
UO Food Studies Program
UO Student Sustainability Center
Photo: "University of Oregon Campus" by Rick Obst via Flickr. Used with Creative Commons license.